Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Razorwings




Three "Razorwings". They look tough, but in the game itself they do hardly any damage and they die quickly. A bit disappointing. Fun to paint, though, and I think they look kind of cool.

They were all made with a very dark shade of each of their respective colors as a base coat, and then a dry brushing of a very light shade of that color. There's not much of a middle ground with these. I was aiming for a pastel highlighted look over a black-ish background.

I'm pleased with them, but looking back, these were the last minis I used dry brushing on. It was about this time when I was reading technique and theory articles that I noticed that the most beautiful minis used a technique called "blending" to achieve color gradations in a way that dry-brushing mimics, but is really a cheap substitute for. So, after painting the Razorwings I vowed to start experimenting with more advanced techniques.

No comments: