Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Sky Log 2

Last night I braved the cold for two 30 minute sessions at 8pm and again at 1opm so that I could get a good look at Gemini and Leo respectively.

In Gemini I found the M35 star cluster near the feet of the twins. It is about 2,800 light years away and made up of stars that are about 150 million years old. It isn't quite as pretty as M41 (in Canis Major) that I found the last time it was clear out. It was very high in the sky which placed my eyepiece very low to the ground, requiring me to sit or kneel in order to view it comfortably. This wasn't the first time I was discomforted by viewing at the zenith. After a bit of research the last few days I ordered a set of wooden tripod legs which should add stability and add 10"-12" of height. Hopefully this will enable me to sit more comfortably in a chair while viewing.

At 10pm I went back out to try to find Ceres. Ceres is a spherical asteroid in the belt between Mars and Jupiter. Tomorrow night (2/25/09) it will be closer to the Earth than it will be again for several hundred years. I have read that you can see it in a small telescope so I've been anxious to try. I found a star chart from Sky and Telesope's website showing me where it would be on different days. I tried for about 1/2 hour to find it. Annoyingly, I can't say for sure if I saw it or not. I panned around the sky along Leo's back about where I thought it would be and I saw a lot of things that "might" have been it, but I lack the experience to know for sure.

When I tired of that I tried to see some of the galaxies that are grouped together near Leo's haunches, but I couldn't make out anything at all there. Between the city lights and the smallish size of my scope, I don't think I'll see many galaxies from my backyard.

I can't wait to go camping this summer! We're planning to get away to a campground about 100 miles west of us over Memorial Day weekend this year (also our anniversary). Hopefully dark skies will help considerably. Of course, warm weather will also help considerably. I think this hobby will be a lot more fun when the temperatures are above freezing at night!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have enjoyed reading your pages. I just bought a 120ST and would like to see what it can do. I read your posts over on CN and I applaud your doing things your way. I have your page bookmarked and will continue reading with interest.

Hawksbill said...

Thank you! I'm glad this has been useful for someone other than me. So far I've really been enjoying the 120ST.

The only problem is that we've had terrible weather lately, and whenever it isn't cloudy it is still really cold. I'm really hoping the next few weeks will warm up finally!