Saturday, April 18, 2009

Orion 120ST Telescope Kit

Slowly but surely my telescope kit is taking shape. Last night we walked to a local park to do some star gazing and took the whole thing along in a wagon. Here's what it looks like all packed up.

I bought the case a month or so ago. It was designed for Orion's 110ED scope, but it turns out that my 120ST fits in it quite nicely.
Here's a closeup of the case innards. It has slots for the diagonal, two 2" eyepieces and three 1.25" eyepieces.
And here's what it looks like fully assembled.
The wooden legs are also fairly new. It is an Oberwerk surveyor tripod that I found on sale for 50% off. The legs are longer and more stable than the stock aluminum legs that come with the Voyager mount. I played around with the height for a while before settling on where it is. I raised the legs about 4 inches which allows me to see almost the whole sky from a seated position. Objects too near the horizon still require a standing position, but for the most part I can sit leisurely while stargazing.

The only drawback is that I have to squat down close to the ground in order to find objects with the EZFinder.

There are only a couple of things left to get to complete my portable telescope kit. First, I need a wide field eyepiece. The Ethos lest me see 2.17 degrees of sky at 46X. I'm thinking about a 23mm Axiom which would give me 3.14 degrees at 26x. Alternately, I'm considering jumping all the way to a 31mm or 36mm Hyperion Aspheric, which would broaden the field of view to 3.72 or 4.32 degrees respectively. (A degree is about the width of 2 full moons).

Also, I still want a new focuser. I'm seriously considering getting a Moonlite, but they are a bit pricey so it will involve saving up for it. We'll see. The stock focuser is really annoying, though and does need to be improved somehow.

Anyway, the park last night was a bit disappointing. We set up the scope near second base on one of the local ball fields. This gave us a nice wide swath of sky to view and we got to look at Saturn again. However, there were people playing tennis nearby and the court flood lights were so bright I could read by them a couple of hundred yards away. Very annoying. It turns out that my backyard it a better vewing spot due to the lack of gigantic stadium sized flood lights.

Oh well. We're starting to plan our summer vacations which will be at various dark sky spots around northern Michigan and away from big city lights. I can't wait to see some really wide field views of the summer Milky Way from a very dark site. I'm getting very excited about it.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi - that looks nice. Thanks for telling me about the case. I ordered it and it came today. I can even get the Telrad in with the scope!
The next step is the focuser. Scopestuff has what I want and I will probably order from them. I've dealt with "Chinese grease" before, but this focuser is really bad.
Got another good look at Saturn last night. For a widefield, the 120ST ain't too bad on planets. M42 & M37 not bad either - got discouraged with the focuser.
But with the new case, can haul the scope out to Utah next month.
I'm enjoying reading your blog.
Still anonymous

Hawksbill said...

I'm glad you like the case. I was very pleased that the 120ST fit so nicely in it.

May I ask what eyepieces you find the most useful in it? I'm very torn about which wide field ep to get next.

Oh, and I envy your trip to Utah! The skies out there are amazing!

Anonymous said...

I have mostly Vixen - a mix of regular and wide. The Meade I found used and couldn't resist a bargain I've also got a 2" Erfle. Right now I'm looking for an EP in the 12-16mm range. I have a 13mm LVW but it gets a lot of use in a Stellarvue 102APO. I'm reading up on the Orion EPs and also others. I had a bunch of Naglers, didn't like them and sold them. I do like that Meade in this scope. It's the old 4000 series.

Anonymous said...

I bought a Crayford from Scopestuff. Have it installed and it's a 100% improvement. Scopestuff is fast and reliable. Now it the weather would clear up.....

Hawksbill said...

Excellent! I'm jealous of your new focuser. I've been looking at a couple of different ones, but it will be a while before I have the money for them. I think I'd like to get a wide field ep first, in any case.

Tonight looks like it may be the first really nice night in quite a while around here. I'm going to try tracking down the Beehive cluster, which has eluded me so far.

Anonymous said...

The Beehive isn't very easy to find. I've only hit it when a planet was in it. Couple of years ago, Jupiter was there. I'm waiting for Sagittarius.
Took the scope out and tried the focuser on the moon - couldn't find the Straight Wall! I'm tired of checking out the neighbor's garage sale!
I bought one of the Orion Planetary EPs.
Seems fairly decent. That means I can swipe the Vixen LVWs for use with the 120. The other half of the family likes planets and hogs the scope. But you don't need widefield for planets.
Read your last blog - M44 is pretty isn't it? Try M67. I got M36,37, 38 before Auriga went over the house.