Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Jungle Queen - full color

I'm getting closer. I touched up the eyes some more and then threw down a base coat on the clothes, jewelery and hair. The next step in the process is to begin highlighting everything. I'll probably start with the skin first. I plan to use the overhead lighting technique where you provide highlights that would exist if the light source were coming from straight overhead.

All the paint currently on the figure is the darkest shade of each color. During the highlighting process I'll be adding a medium shade for slightly brighter areas and a bright shade for the most lit areas.

Here's what she looks like as of today:




The black hair is totally lost in the black background. Highlighting the hair should help that out a lot. Of course, a lighter background or something of a different color wouldn't hurt either. One of these days I'll construct myself some decent photo space. Right now I just take pictures on our dining room table and I don't bother with a background at all. But, it turns out that focusing on the figure turns the surface of the table pitch black, so it works out for my rudimentary purposes.

2 comments:

Sgt Howie said...

The models all look pretty amazing. Totally jealous of your painting skills. If I could do that I'd be spending all my spare time making stuff like this:

http://nerdapproved.com/toys/perform-your-own-frankenstein-operation/

Hawksbill said...

Thanks! I've done a bit more to her, but really she's been sitting on my shelf for the last three months waiting for me to pick my brushes again.

I really should do that! She's almost done. I think I'm worried about how the cat is going to work out.