Monday, June 9, 2008

Queen of the Jungle - Part 3

Last night I put the first layer of skin on the Jungle Queen. Here are current front and back shots.



I'm painting the skin a bit differently than I have in the past. Previously I would start with a medium coat and then give a dark wash followed by medium highlights and then light highlights. The other day I read this tutorial and decided to follow its advice. So, I started with as smooth a coat of dark skin (RMS Golden Shadow). That's all that is on there right now. A coat of Golden Shadow plus a wash of Golden Shadow to smooth things out. I see from the picture I missed a couple spots, like on the underside of the right wrist. (also, the eyes aren't yet painted because that's a bit of a separate process.)

Next I'll try to follow the tutorial's advice and apply layers of gradual highlights using RMS Golden Skin and RMS Golden Highlight. I left these pictures large and in a fairly high resolution so that I can see the way that the light falls on the muscles and highlight appropriately.

So far I'm pleased with it. I'd forgotten how much I enjoy painting while we sit around and watch TV. Very relaxing.

No comments: