Saturday, June 7, 2008

Queen of the Jungle - Work in progress

My new mini, the Queen of the Jungle arrived in the mail last week (Reaper model #30001). I thought I'd post pictures of it as I work on it.

It came in several pieces, which I had to super-glue together. I didn't take any pictures until after I assembled and primed it. Here's my first picture of the freshly primed figure.


After priming it I wanted to bring out some of the details so I gave it a dark ink wash.

This was a little effective, but I'm not sure it was worth doing on future minis.

After that I decided to start working on the log she's standing on. Here's what it looks like currently.



First I panted the wood of the log. I gave it a medium brown base coat and then a dark brown wash. Following that I gave it a straight black wash. Then I did the same with green. A base coat of mossy green and two washes, first of a dark green and then black.

What I should do next is some highlighting with lighter brown and green, respectively. Highlighting is not a skill I'm very good at yet. I may decide to call the log finished and proceed to the figure herself, but I haven't decided yet. I may just drybrush some lighter tones, but that feels like cheating for some reason.

No comments: